Friday, January 27, 2012

Porridge Fit for a Queen - Try Waitrose

Can you explain to me why I've just spent the last 45 minutes searching online for purveyors of McCann's Irish Oatmeal in London? The steel cut kind.

I'm missing my favorite comfort foods in the worst kind of way today. Though having grown up as a Quaker Instant Oats girl...the variety packs, especially maple and brown sugar...I was surprised to find myself converted to steel-cut after a trip to San Fran to see my friend M. She made some for breakfast one day and OMG...I wondered how I had managed to exist for all those growing up years without their nutty goodness in my life. I also found out how to get around the impossibly long cooking time (15-25 minutes)...e.g., cook big batches, divide into microwaveable bowls and refrigerate for individual morning delights! Voila!

Unfortunatelly, early results at finding source in London turned up zilch. Sainsburys, nada. ASDA online, bupkis.

I should mention though, I had to give up on looking for oatmeal...it's called porridge in this neck of the woods. Mind you, I kinda associate the term porridge with the gruel of Oliver Twist's workhouse or the stuff Tim Robbins' character, Andy Dufresne, gets served his first day at Shawshank...yep, that's right, the PRISON.

But I digress, potato, poh-tah-toe. I knew what I was after and I would not be deterred.

So back to the chase.

After hitting the major search engines and then wading through a sea of blog posts, including the lively lulu loves bombay, I finally came to Sybil Kapoor's Guardian article How to make perfect porridge. So I'm off to Waitrose to try my luck.

Yum awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment